Last Updated : Dec 2020
Information we collect
- When you register for an account or place an order / service request or contact us by email or phone, we may request your personal information in order to communicate and deliver services to you. The information we collect will be for example; name; address; email; business name; contact information, IP address, domain name and other associated information necessary in the fulfilment of service engagement or provision.
- If you have chosen to subscribe to a newsletter, or comment on articles we will collect your name, email address, location and other optional information.
- We may collect non-identifiable information when you visit our site for visitor tracking and analysis (e.g., cookies) and to help us to improve your experience on our site.
- We may collect your IP address for the purpose of identifying your approximate location / ISP.
- We may also collect information about the type of browser you are using, the type of software, your computer version, screen resolution size and device type for analysis and experience improvements (for example Google Analytics)
Contact Forms & Newsletter Sign Up
If you contact us via the contact form or support channel on our website, we will collect and store the data you’ve supplied in a secure server environment and we will also pass this data through various “cloud” servers and services in order for it to reach the intended recipient, so that they can receive your message and reply accordingly. You may also be prompted to join our newsletter and if you do so, we will collect and store the information you’ve provided, for marketing purposes.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for a set period of time. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for a longer period. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Analytics & other diagnostics
This site utilises multiple analytics and diagnostics services to help us to improve the overall experience for all users. All information is anonymized before storage and processing begins.
This website uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service. It is operated by Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA. Google Analytics uses so-called “cookies”. These are text files that are stored on your computer and that allow an analysis of the use of the website by you. The information generated by the cookie about your use of this website is usually transmitted to a Google server in the USA and stored there. Google Analytics cookies are stored based on Art. 6 (1) (f) DSGVO. The website operator has a legitimate interest in analyzing user behavior to optimize both its website and its advertising.
Objecting to the collection of data
Demographic data collection by Google Analytics
This website may use Google Analytics’ demographic features. This allows reports to be generated containing statements about the age, gender, and interests of site visitors. This data comes from interest-based advertising from Google and third-party visitor data. This collected data cannot be attributed to any specific individual person. You can disable this feature at any time by adjusting the ads settings in your Google account or you can forbid the collection of your data by Google Analytics as described in the section “Refusal of data collection”.
CAN SPAM Act
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them.
We collect your email address in order to:
- Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions.
- Process orders and to send information and updates pertaining to orders.
- Send you additional information related to your product and/or service.
- Market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our clients after the original transaction has occurred.
To be in accordance with CANSPAM, we agree to the following
- Not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses.
- Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way, should that be the case.
- Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used.
- Honour opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly.
- Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email.
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can use the unsubscribe links.
The Site is not for use by children under the age of 16 years and we do not knowingly collect, store, share or use the personal data of children under 16 years. If you are under the age of 16 years, please do not provide any personal data, even if prompted by the Site to do so. If you are under the age of 16 years and you have provided personal data, please ask your parent(s) or guardian(s) to notify us and we will delete all such personal data.
Server log files
We automatically collect and stores information that your browser automatically transmits to us in “server log files”. These are:
- Browser type and browser version
- Operating system used
- Referrer URL
- Host name of the accessing computer
- Time of the server request
- IP address
The use of your Personal Data
- Purple Dog and, where necessary our trusted service partners, may use your information to verify your identity, in the fulfilment of any product, service or order you have requested and to collect payments from you for any such related services.
- We will never knowingly sell your information, pass it to others unlawfully or allow any external party to access it, except where we are required to do so by law, to protect and/or enforce our legal rights and interests, including defending any claim or where you have expressly requested this.
- From time to time, we may contact you in connection with certain transactions, or to inform you about certain events that may have an impact upon any product or service(s) that you have purchased from us
- We may occasionally contact you for general marketing purposes – e.g. our newsletter to inform you of any important and other news (if you have consented to receive these), to conduct customer surveys, or to collect site experience and / or general feedback from you.
- Where agreed by you, in the public areas of the site, we may display your information, for example on our testimonials page or in a case study.
Retention of Your Personal Data
We apply a general rule of keeping personal data only for as long as required to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected. In general, we retain your personal data for a period of time corresponding to a statute of limitation, for example to maintain an accurate record of your dealings with us. However, in some circumstances we may retain personal data for other periods of time, for instance where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, tax and accounting requirements, or if required to do so by a legal process, legal authority, or other governmental entity having authority to make the request, for so long as required.
- Your information is held in the strictest of confidence and never willingly divulged to any unauthorised party.
- We use a secure HTTPS SSL website encryption protocol to transmit your data to and from our website to our server databases.
- Our servers are protected to the highest standards with best practice methods and continuous and regular in-house audits.
- Data may be transferred and stored under our control to multiple global locations (for redundancy) for example using a CDN and to provide our users with the fastest and most secure experience.
- Wherever data is stored we ensure the highest level of security possible.
- We encrypt sensitive data such as passwords and other important information wherever possible.
- We do not hold any credit card data locally or on our servers because we use third party payment processors that utilise tokenised encryption.
- Unless you have given consent, we do not share any information with third parties – except where we are required to do so by law, or for the purpose of fulfilling product / services / orders.
Transfer of Personal Data
- As a service provider, we utilise multiple data centres and service partners in the delivery of products and services. In particular, we utilise a global network of servers (known as a CDN and load balancers) and data exists “in the cloud” in multiple global locations, (though primarily in NZ, AU and USA). We do this to provide the highest level of service, security and speed to our customers and their clients. Furthermore, we employ best-practice standards wherever data is stored, and ensure that comparable safeguards exist in order to comply with New Zealand privacy laws.
- If your personal data is transferred outside NZ to other servers affiliates or to third party service providers, we will take steps to ensure that your personal data receives the same level of protection as if it remained within NZ, including by entering into data transfer agreements that satisfy the NZ approved Standards. The countries to which personal data is generally stored and / or transferred, is Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom and the United States of America. We reserve the right to share any information that you provide which is not deemed personal data or is not otherwise subject to contractual restrictions
We take measures, including data encryption, to protect the transmission of all sensitive end-user information. We make reasonable efforts to ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems. Nevertheless, we cannot guarantee that our security measures will prevent third-party ‘hackers’ from illegally obtaining this information. We take all reasonable measures to prevent such breaches of security, but given the resourcefulness of cyber-criminals we are unable to guarantee that our security is 100% breach-proof. You assume the risk of such breaches to the extent that they occur despite our reasonable security measures.
If any information we hold about you is incorrect, please contact us to request that it be updated.
- If you decide not to provide us with your personal information, we will not be able to provide products and or services to you.
- If at any time, you wish to be removed from our newsletter or public areas of our site, you may request that and we will respect your wishes.
- You also have the right to request a copy of the information we have on record for you. You may also request that data be deleted.
- If you are an existing Purple Dog client, you can close your account, subject to additional terms that may apply concerning the access and processing of your data. Please view our Terms of Service for more information.