This is true of your local computer (you should always have a backup facility) and it is also true for your website files and emails etc.
If you are hosting your website through Purple Dog, it's good to know that we perform daily backups on your behalf, in case something happens to the server, or to our datacentre, we can restore from a backup "snapshot" from a previous period.
However, it is always a good idea to have your own personal backup, so how can you do this? The following explains the two primary options available:
1) Create a backup using cPanel.
2) Download your website using FTP.
1) cPanel backups.
Cpanel offers the easiest and best method to backup your entire website, database(s), emails and more.
The only issue with this method is that you will also have to restore a cPanel backup to your existing or other cPanel account (i.e. you can't restore to another control panel such as plesk).
For full information on how to achieve the cPanel backup, you can watch this video tutorial.
2) Backups via FTPFTP backups are a good way to transfer the files from our server to your computer. You can read more about what FTP is here. To get started, you will need;
- an FTP client installed on your local computer (software such as FileZilla)
- your FTP username and password (this was supplied to you in the hosting welcome email)
Steps to make a backup
- If you have not already done so, download and install FileZilla (or your preferred software)
- connect to the Purple Dog server using the credentials supplied to you in the webhosting welcome email
- copy the files from the server to your local computer
- use a programme such as notepad etc, to open a few of the files to verify the data
Please note that FTP backups will not include your website database or emails (if you have these) - it will only allow you to download the actual website holding pages. You should also backup your database (this can be done via the cPanel steps mentioned above or click here to read more on the cPanel help page.
If you are not sure about something, please ask us to assist BEFORE you take any action that may be irrevocable.