It can be confusing when you first start out. Here we explain the different places you can login to get things done.
If you're a new Purple Dog customer - welcome! It can be hard to know where to start. Here's a little starter guide that may help you understand where to go to get things done, whether you're wanting to pay your hosting bill, edit your web site, read your email, or do just about anything associated with your web site & your account with Purple Dog.
There are generally speaking 3 or 4 places you can login - these are explained in more details below;
- The Purple Dog Client Area
- Website "Back end" area
- A webhosting control Panel
- Other service login panel
1) Purple Dog CLIENT AREA - is ACCOUNT related
You'll need a username and password to login - you created this when you registered on our website and a reminder was sent to you in an "Welcome" email when you first signed up with us.
You can login here: https://www.purpledogdesign.com/clients/login (if you can't remember your password, there is a "reset password" option on this page too).
Once you've logged in you will be able to;
- View and update your contact details, payment preferences, and any additional account information.
- Review the products & services you are subscribed to, including any hosting and domain names.
- Order new products and services, for example to order domain names or other services and products.
- Cancel any services.
- View details of current and historical orders and invoices.
- Submit and view Support Tickets, including submitting sensitive information.
- Look up all emails that have been sent to you from us (including all support queries, orders, invoices and receipts).
- Manage Domain Name DNS entries
2) Your website "Back end" - is PRODUCTION related
If you have a website- especially one that's designed by us - there's normally a place to login where you can update and edit content. Usually we will provide this to you on completion of a site build or during training. If you are not sure what the details are, please make contact with us via support.
As a general rule, the website login address will be something like www.example.com/login (replace example.com with your domain name).
3) The Web Hosting Control Panel - is FUNCTIONAL related
A web hosting control panel and allows you to deal with several aspects of your web site e.g. databases, files and emails.
Some accounts that we provide will use an address similar to this: "http://www.example.com/cpanel" (replace example.com with your domain name).
PLEASE NOTE: accounts do not automatically have full access due to security restrictions that may be in operation to help protect users. Please open a support ticket.
Web panel access requires a username and password - typically this is sent to you in a "Welcome" email when your hosting account was set up. If you've forgotten this information or need a reset, please open a support ticket and we will send you a reminder.
Within your hosting panel, you can perform lots of useful tasks - depending on the kind of account you have;
- Create / edit / delete email accounts, read your webmail, turn on / off spam-assassin, add email forwarders, auto responders, mx records and more
- Edit, backup, change and upload website files. You can also control FTP access and create additional FTP accounts.
- View your Web site Stats, visitor logs, error logs, and create custom error pages.
- Set your site security, such as password protected directories, HotLink Protection and the IP Deny Manger.
- Create parked domains, sub-domains and URL redirects.
- Set up and manage information databases.
- And much, much more.
The best thing to do is go an have a look around. Most functions are appended with helpful hints.
Please review the webhosting related articles here: http://www.purpledogdesign.com/clients/knowledgebase/7/Cpanel
4) Other Services Logins
If you subscribe to the Purple Dog newsletter for example, you may also have another login for that.
In most cases, you should be able to login to all of your different services via the Purple Dog client account.
If you have any queries, do let us know!